Monday, December 19, 2016

2016 IGRAD Survey Winner

At Humber, we are committed to improving the experience of our students, so we asked an independent research agency (i-graduate) to gather feedback on the experiences of international students at the College. Thank you to the 1141 current students who took the opportunity to tell us what’s working, what’s frustrating and what you think of your college experience so far. 

We will receive the survey results in early 2017 and start reviewing them to learn how we can further improve Humber to meet the needs of our students. 

As part of the survey process, one respondent was awarded an iPad. Congralations to the winner, Heena Balu! 

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Introducing, Your New Dean

You may or may not know that the Humber International Centre recently hired a new Dean to lead and support International efforts across the Humber community. Our past Dean, Diane Simpson, left in September to pursue her Ph.D., and thus a search began for someone to fill the big role.

Meet Andrew (Drew) Ness:

Andrew has had a long history working with academic institutions; he has dedicated over 30 years of his life to education and more recently the internationalization of higher education. He appreciates the importance of international education in bolstering academic learning environments and adding diversity of perspectives to the classroom, group project and COOP environment. Although only at Humber for ten weeks, he has already noticed some distinct differences from some of his past roles. The primary one being how sociable, kind, and inviting both Humber students and staff have been. He stressed how helpful everyone is and cited that as to why the acclimatization process has been an easy one. Andrew (or Drew, as we know him in the IC) said that choosing to work at Humber was one of the few times he made a purposeful leap in his career, no matter if it was convenient or not. He truly believes Humber is a special place to be.

Since the holidays are right around the corner, we decided to ask Drew to answer a few questions you’ll want to know his answers to:

Q: Can you share a favourite holiday movie students may have not seen?
A: “A Christmas Carol” - the 1938 version – and specifically one scene that he believes is one of the best holiday movie scenes ever made."
Q: What do you plan to do with your holiday break?
A: “After a semester-full of new learning, it’s time to relax with the friends and family to re-charge the batteries.”
Q: Any tips for shoveling snow all this snow coming over the weekend?
A: “Use your knees, not your back!”
All told, Andrew is an exciting choice as new Dean of International, who we know brings a wealth of experience to Humber scene. The International Centre is ecstatic to have him, and you should be too.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Events, Workshops and Trips - December 2016

As classes come to a close soon, plan on using some of your down time to attend a workshop on the Post Graduate Work Permit, Monday, December 19th at both North and Lakeshore campuses. For more information please visit our website or drop by your nearest International Centre. See you soon and enjoy your holiday break!

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Celebrating Diversity

International Education Week (IEW) is fast approaching and there are a variety of IEW events planned. Over 100 countries celebrate IEW al over the globe to help raise awareness for the importance of international education and how it benefits academic institutions such as Humber.  International education plays a crucial role in further progressing Canada economically, socially, and culturally.

This year Humber will be celebrating IEW from November 14-18, 2016. Humber will draw attention to certain cultures that define Humber and its unique cultural make-up; which in 2016 will highlight the language and cultural practices of Brazil, Mauritius, Poland, and Taiwan.

The festivities

IEW will include a variety of events including the online Global Lens Exhibit, featuring photography captured by our students traveling across the globe, interactive activities promoting study abroad opportunities, cultural displays, food, language cafes and artifacts, and students sharing their stories from abroad. Student-run booths will celebrate unique cultures and present the opportunity to tell their stories. It will be a week you don’t want to miss!

International Education Week events will take place on the following dates:

North Campus: November 16, 10:30-1pm – LRC Concourse:  A cultural fair to share 4 highlighted countries (above) and interactive booth demonstrating Humber’s Global Opportunities.

Lakeshore Campus: November 17, 10:30-1pm – L Building Cafeteria: A cultural fair to share 4 highlighted countries (above) and interactive booth demonstrating Humber’s Global Opportunities.

For more information, visit  

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Entering Canada

With the exception of citizens of the United States, St. Pierre or Miquelon, all others require either a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to re-enter Canada. Not sure what document you require? Go here.

Working in Canada

What you need to know

My friend told me that I can work off campus, is that true?
It depends on whether you meet the eligibility requirements and the condition to work is listed on your study permit.

What do you mean by eligibility requirements?
A full list can be found here.   
What if there is no comment about working listed on my study permit?
You can apply for an amendment to your study permit asking IRCC permission to work.

My study permit states that I am not authorized to work off-campus, what can I do to change this?
If you are studying English, i.e. EAP, or enrolled in a preparatory program leading you to a regular program, you are not permitted to work off-campus. However if you are currently in a regular program, in order to change the non-working condition you will have to apply for a new study permit and pay the required processing fee.

How many hours can I work off-campus?
If you qualify to work off-campus then you can work 20 hours per week while studying and full-time during regular scheduled breaks, e.g. summer break, holidays, Reading Week. For a clear definition of a “scheduled break” go here.

How do I get a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?
A Social Insurance Number is a 9-digit number required to work in Canada which is issued by Service Canada.  For more information regarding eligibility requirements, where to apply and application form please go here.

Co-op Work Permit

Do you have a mandatory work component in your program?
If yes then you need to apply for a coop work permit regardless of whether it is a paid or unpaid internship. The ability to work off-campus attached to your study permit does not transfer to your academic work requirement.

When should I apply for my co-op work permit?
You should apply as soon as possible as processing times are subject to change. You are not authorized to start your work placement until you receive the work permit.

Is there a cost?
No. Your placement/internship is deemed an essential component of your studies necessary in order for you to graduate therefore there is no cost for this permit.

Do I require a job offer in order to apply?
A job offer is not required; Humber College acts as your employer.