Friday, March 11, 2016

Canadian Income Taxes & International Students

By: Matthew McDonald, International Student Advisor at Humber's Lakeshore Campus

We’ve received many questions about income taxes over the past few weeks from students who weren’t able to attend our workshops about money, budgeting, and taxes (in January and February).
The International Centre does not have any tax experts on staff and is not able to advise on income tax questions. However, we do want to provide information to help you understand the Canadian tax system and what you should do.

Do international students need to file taxes?
The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is responsible for administering tax programs in Canada. It has created a video series to explain Canada’s taxation system and answer important questions such as “Do international students have to file taxes?”. Click here to access the video series.  
The CRA also has information for international students on this page.

What documents do students need from Humber?
Each person’s tax situation will be different. However, all Humber students should download a T2202A form from their MyHumber account. Keep a copy of this form.

Tip #1: Make sure that your browser allows pop-up windows. Otherwise, the T2202A form will not appear.
Tip #2: If you are no longer a Humber student and/or are unable to access your MyHumber account, please contact the Registrar’s Office by e-mailing

If you are currently living in Residence on campus, then you should read this information as well.

What about students who started in January 2016?
The income tax year follows the calendar year (January 2015 to December 2015). This information is for students who were in Canada in 2015.

Can someone help in person?
Yes! HSF has partnered with CRA to offer a community income tax clinic from March 22 to April 20, 2016. Appointment bookings will open March 14th 2016 at

North: KX202
Lakeshore: K204

If you want to learn how to complete your taxes yourself attend the HSF tax workshop. Tax Workshop bookings will open March 14th 2016 at
North: March 21, 10 – 11:30 am, in KX202
Lake: March 21, 2 – 3:30 pm, in K204
Please note you must bring your own laptop to the workshop.
Please direct all questions about this program to HSF.

If you aren’t able to use HSF’s services, you may be able to receive support through another community tax program in the city. Please see here for a list of other options. 

Is there anything else international students should know? Beware of a recent phone scam by fraudsters pretending to be the CRA or police officers and making threats. The CRA typically communicates by mail (post) or through its online system. Read this news story and the CRA instructions to protect yourself against fraud.

No comments:

Post a Comment