Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Events, Workshops and Trips - December 2016

As classes come to a close soon, plan on using some of your down time to attend a workshop on the Post Graduate Work Permit, Monday, December 19th at both North and Lakeshore campuses. For more information please visit our website or drop by your nearest International Centre. See you soon and enjoy your holiday break!

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Celebrating Diversity

International Education Week (IEW) is fast approaching and there are a variety of IEW events planned. Over 100 countries celebrate IEW al over the globe to help raise awareness for the importance of international education and how it benefits academic institutions such as Humber.  International education plays a crucial role in further progressing Canada economically, socially, and culturally.

This year Humber will be celebrating IEW from November 14-18, 2016. Humber will draw attention to certain cultures that define Humber and its unique cultural make-up; which in 2016 will highlight the language and cultural practices of Brazil, Mauritius, Poland, and Taiwan.

The festivities

IEW will include a variety of events including the online Global Lens Exhibit, featuring photography captured by our students traveling across the globe, interactive activities promoting study abroad opportunities, cultural displays, food, language cafes and artifacts, and students sharing their stories from abroad. Student-run booths will celebrate unique cultures and present the opportunity to tell their stories. It will be a week you don’t want to miss!

International Education Week events will take place on the following dates:

North Campus: November 16, 10:30-1pm – LRC Concourse:  A cultural fair to share 4 highlighted countries (above) and interactive booth demonstrating Humber’s Global Opportunities.

Lakeshore Campus: November 17, 10:30-1pm – L Building Cafeteria: A cultural fair to share 4 highlighted countries (above) and interactive booth demonstrating Humber’s Global Opportunities.

For more information, visit facebook.com/humber.international  

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Entering Canada

With the exception of citizens of the United States, St. Pierre or Miquelon, all others require either a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to re-enter Canada. Not sure what document you require? Go here.

Working in Canada

What you need to know

My friend told me that I can work off campus, is that true?
It depends on whether you meet the eligibility requirements and the condition to work is listed on your study permit.

What do you mean by eligibility requirements?
A full list can be found here.   
What if there is no comment about working listed on my study permit?
You can apply for an amendment to your study permit asking IRCC permission to work.

My study permit states that I am not authorized to work off-campus, what can I do to change this?
If you are studying English, i.e. EAP, or enrolled in a preparatory program leading you to a regular program, you are not permitted to work off-campus. However if you are currently in a regular program, in order to change the non-working condition you will have to apply for a new study permit and pay the required processing fee.

How many hours can I work off-campus?
If you qualify to work off-campus then you can work 20 hours per week while studying and full-time during regular scheduled breaks, e.g. summer break, holidays, Reading Week. For a clear definition of a “scheduled break” go here.

How do I get a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?
A Social Insurance Number is a 9-digit number required to work in Canada which is issued by Service Canada.  For more information regarding eligibility requirements, where to apply and application form please go here.

Co-op Work Permit

Do you have a mandatory work component in your program?
If yes then you need to apply for a coop work permit regardless of whether it is a paid or unpaid internship. The ability to work off-campus attached to your study permit does not transfer to your academic work requirement.

When should I apply for my co-op work permit?
You should apply as soon as possible as processing times are subject to change. You are not authorized to start your work placement until you receive the work permit.

Is there a cost?
No. Your placement/internship is deemed an essential component of your studies necessary in order for you to graduate therefore there is no cost for this permit.

Do I require a job offer in order to apply?
A job offer is not required; Humber College acts as your employer.