Thursday, January 19, 2017

Study Permit Essentials - Updated!

Study Permit Essentials
Do you have the proper document to study?
Often students interchange the words ‘visa” and “permit”. A study permit is a paper document, whereas a visa is the counterfoil or sticker affixed inside your passport, which is used for entry into Canada only. If you are enrolled in a program that is six months or more you require a study “permit”.

Did you convert your Letter of Introduction to a study permit when you arrived in Canada?
Prior to coming to Canada your embassy or the visa centre in your home country provided you with a Letter of Introduction to present to the authorities when you entered Canada. Did the officer convert this letter to a study permit? If you did not receive your permit then it is important that you go to the International Centre and speak with an International Student Advisor as soon as possible. Without a study permit you are not eligible to attend school.

Have you checked your study permit to ensure all the information is correct?
If you haven’t already done so please take a moment to check your permit for errors in name, gender or date of birth.

Were you previously studying in Canada?
Does your study permit allow you to study at a “post-secondary” institution, i.e. college or university? Does your study permit authorize you to study at a Designated Learning Institution? If you answered “no” to either of these questions you need to speak to an International Student Advisor as soon as possible as you require a new study permit to pursue your studies at Humber.

What should I do if I transferred from another post-secondary institution?
If you transferred from another post-secondary school then you must inform IRCC as soon as possible. For instructions on how to notify IRCC click here

Do I need to apply for a new study permit if I changed schools or program?
No. You are not required to apply for a new permit if you changed from another DLI or did a program change within Humber.

Have you uploaded your study permit to your MyHumber account?
If you recently arrived in Canada, or if you are a returning student who extended their study permit please upload your study permit via your MyHumber account. You can find instructions here

When should I apply to extend my study permit?
If your study permit was not written for the duration of your study permit plus an additional 90 days you should extend it. We recommend that you apply to extend your study permit three months prior to the expiry date. For information on how to extend go to this page

No comments:

Post a Comment