Volunteer Opportunity - CONNECT Student Buddy Program
All Humber students are welcome to apply
Connect is currently seeking volunteers at North and Lakeshore Campus for the role of International Peer Mentors for Fall 2018. In-person interviews take place on Friday, September 14th. Deadline to apply is Thursday, Sept 13th at 8:30am.
The International Centre serves as a resource for all international students to ensure their success at Humber. Services offered are geared to providing support to international students through events, workshops and transitioning guidance throughout their time at Humber. The Connect Student Buddy program works with both faculty and students to ensure International students are welcomed and well-adjusted to life at Humber.
Purpose: The purpose of the Connect Student Buddy program is to support International students in their transition into a new learning environment, culture, climate and teaching style. This is done through creating a welcoming inclusive environment whilst connecting students to the services available on-campus. The Connect Student Buddies also engages with current and prospective students through Social Media to create an online presence for students to answer and provide information that is of importance to International students.
Successful candidates will become part of the International Centre and will assist in Social Media initiatives along with the ability to Connect with students. We are looking for persons that are interested in working in a diverse environment and are interested in learning about new cultures.
We are looking for students…
· that are in their second semester or higher in a Humber Post-Secondary or Post-Graduate program and maintaining good academic standing
· with experience and interest in cross-cultural communication and/or an international environment
· with experience and interest in leadership with good presentation and public speaking skills
· with experience in facilitating events or programs
· with skills in either: photography, video/internet blog, video editing, social media, graphic design
Main Duties and Responsibilities
· Meet motivate and engage first semester international students
· Create a socially successful environment while assisting in assimilating students into life in Canada
· Contact students to provide valuable assistance and guidance in their academic and social success
· Support the International Centre in events, programs and workshops
· Regular engagement and discussion in ISS’s online communities such as blog, Facebook and Pinterest and others
· Pre-Arrival Communication: E-mails, Twitter Chat, Skype
· Volunteer at International Orientation or Connect Event during Orientation Week
· Volunteer at minimum of 2 more Connect events during each term
· Meet with your student mentee at least twice (outside of Connect events)
· Monthly Communication via e-mail/in-person/social media to check-in with your mentee
· Build leadership, communication and interpersonal skills
· Opportunity to facilitate Humber International Centre Events
· Experience approved for Co-curricular record
The deadline to apply is Thursday, September 13th – 8:30am